Dates back to 973 the first reference of the town of Lonate Pozzolo within an exchange of property between some Celsone of Lonate, and the bishop of Novara, Aupaldo, son of Leo. The existence in the historical district, and in the outskirts of the early oratory of San Giovanni Battista nonetheless attests early existence Lombard discover traces of Roman property section.
Already at the start of the thirteenth century , Lonate was a centre of some importance. Although its economy was based mainly on’ agriculture, it have games console already, notaries and legislative acts, being situated in a large canal called Naviglio Grande and derived in the river Ticino near the significant road Como – Novara, dug in 1135. In the subsequent centuries it grew its prosperity and, consequently, its people, so much so that, at least since 1290, in Lonate records was qualified as a “hamlet”, that’s, small town.
In 1496 the community, which numbered roughly 1,500 inhabitants, was endowed with new legislative acts. Two years later he finished the building of the Church of Sant’Ambrogio, consecrated the following year. The town was split into two parishes, Sant’Ambrogio and San Nazaro e Celso, with two different parishes.
In the central district of the state they were holding an annual fair of three days and a weekly market.
In 1635 was erected the tall bell tower of the church of Sant’Ambrogio.
On June 22 of the next year, in the region of the hamlet of Tornavento , it was fought between the Spanish (who invaded the Milanese) and the invading army of French , a friend of Piedmont , a bloody conflict, which caused the flight from Lonate the wealthiest families and, consequently, contributed to its economic decline. For two centuries Lonate lived only agriculture.
Since 1861 , year in which was realized the ‘ union of Italy , filming fast development, because of the beginning of industrialization (for silk reeling factories, cotton mills). They returned to Lonate with cash set aside in years of effort, when they first settled there.
On the border of the historical town, nicely, they constructed brand new houses in the early years of the last century, resulting in an immediate growth of the state. Between both world wars went quickly developing sectors, thanks to the rise of machine shops and foundries arrived the long-term desertion of’ agriculture. Also there was a powerful immigration of labour, mostly from southern Italy .
During World War II anti-fascist actions held the parish priest Don Antonio Tagliabue, where he perished while countryman Announced Crivelli was German to Mauthausen.
Although Malpensa didn’t arise out of nowhere, but is due to of the existence in Lonato territory, between 1945 and 1923, among the most significant aviation airports Italian, the Area of Promise, inaugurated by Gabriele d ‘Annunzio.
Adding the residents of both hamlets of Tornavento and Sant’Antonino Ticino, you get to nearly 12,000.